Elevated Voices: May 3, 2020
This week we celebrated our 100th recording by welcoming Howard County Executive Calvin Ball back to the show. We discussed the challenges facing Howard County in addressing and overcoming COVID-19, the FY2021 budget, and his reflections after a year in office. Listen here.
Next week’s shows:
Tuesday, May 5th, 6:30 PM – Randy Shaw, author of Generation Priced Out
Thursday, May 7th, 6:30 PM – Dan Porterfield, CEO of The Aspen Institute
- McConnell’s bankruptcy plan is disaster for Maryland … and Kentucky by Delegate Brooke Lierman (The Hill)
- What Do Famous People’s Bookshelves Reveal? (New York Times)
- Baltimore-area governments are weighing big cuts as they brace for a collapse in revenues due to coronavirus (Baltimore Sun)
- The Difference (Village Green/Town Squared) – featuring the work of Columbia Community Cares
- Bookshop.org earns more than $1 million for indie bookstores (Los Angeles Times)
- Josh Kurtz: School Inequality Is Only Going to Get Worse. Who Can Fix It? (Maryland Matters)
- The BOE Partisan Debate (HoCo Progress Report)
- The State of the Nation: A 50-State COVID-19 Survey (The COVID-19 Consortium for Understanding the Public’s Policy Preferences Across States)
- Baltimore Sun union starts aggressive push for new nonprofit ownership (Baltimore Business Journal)
- Opinion: Fomenting Fear and Division in Montgomery County (Maryland Matters) – Analysis and critique of Stephen Austin’s campaign for a seat on the Montgomery County School Board
- Howard’s virtual graduations don’t rule out possibility of traditional commencements at later dates, officials say (Baltimore Sun)
- State investigation into Baltimore Police Gun Trace Task Force scandal has been proceeding in secret (Baltimore Sun)
This week’s birthdays:
- May 4th – Luke Broadwater (Happy 40th!)
- May 5th – Kevin Shortt (Dedicated Elevator)
- May 6th – Melissa Woodring Rosenberg (Executive Director for Howard County Autism Society)
- May 7th – Dianne Mustapha Henry (Dedicated Elevator)
If you found value in this newsletter, forward it to three of your friends!
Elevate Voices. Build Community. Present Solutions.