A regular update on what we’re up to and what we’re thinking about
UPCOMING ELEVATE Podcasts:
Big Announcement! Mark your calendars for September 10th, when we will be having former Secretary of Education John King, Jr. on the show! John King, Jr. is currently the president and CEO of The Education Trust, a national nonprofit organization that seeks to identify and close opportunity and achievement gaps, from preschool through college. King served in President Barack Obama’s cabinet as the 10th U.S. Secretary of Education. In tapping him to lead the U.S. Department of Education, President Obama called King “an exceptionally talented educator,” citing his commitment to “preparing every child for success” and his lifelong dedication to education as a teacher, principal, and leader of schools and school systems. Stay tuned for details!
RECENT ELEVATE Podcasts:
July 31, 2019 – Episode 64: With HoCo Housing Commission CEO Peter Engel. We hope that this becomes our “most shared” episode. Housing is the bedrock of a stable life. As Peter Engel identifies, parents with secure housing are healthier and have more time to help their children learn. Housing insecurity creates the opposite – forcing families into a cycle of poverty that even the best schools can’t prevent. If you’ve listened, please consider sharing. This is a message that we all need to hear.
July 16, 2019 – Episode 63: With State Senator Dr. Clarence Lam. Dr. Clarence Lam is one of the hardest working people in politics and that’s a good thing for the rest of us. In this episode, we discuss why “every door is a different door” is an important campaign mantra, the Kirwan Commission, and the legislature’s role in overseeing gubernatorial appointments. You really don’t want to miss this one.
July 2, 2019 – Episode 62: With Delegate Eric Ebersole and Saketh Sundar. Join Candace and Tom for this episode with Delegate Eric Ebersole. They discuss education funding, “community schools”, and the intersection of gambling and our local schools. You’ll also want to stick around for our special guest – Howard County’s National Spelling Bee Champion Saketh Sundar. Saketh reviews his experience as a national star and how he prepared for the Scripps National Spelling Bee stage!
Thank you, as always, to the Common Kitchen for their hospitality!
Things to ELEVATE:
5 thought-provoking pieces on current issues we care about, things happening in our community, and efforts our friends and guests are involved in:
- Rest in Peace Ms. Morrison … “We die. That may be the meaning of life. But we do language. That may be the measure of our lives.”- Toni Morrison
- Thinking about the people of El Paso and Dayton, Chicago and Gilroy … and everywhere else, frankly. Lawmakers, do something. Now. Please. There have been more mass shootings than days this year – CBS News, August 5, 2019
- Creating Equitable Student Outcomes: How Housing and Education Policy are Intertwined – Enterprise Community Partners, 2017
- A move to expand affordable housing weathers a storm – Washington Post, July 28, 2019
- How segregation keeps poor students of color out of richer nearby school districts – Vox, July 25, 2019
Things to CELEBRATE:
5 things that are helping to grow our Elevate Community:
- Thank you to our founding sponsors – we so appreciate you!
- We are going to start emailing our blog! Want to receive it? Subscribe here!
- We recently found ourselves on the other side of the interview mic! Check out this fantastic profile of the voices behind Elevate on RoCo In HoCo!
- Elevate Maryland was mentioned as a local podcast to follow on Maryland Association of Counties’s podcast Conduit Street! Listen to the whole thing, but if you’re short on time the podcast discussion starts around 37:56.
- 115 people viewed our podcast from our Facebook page this week – 115 people! Thanks so much for listening, sharing, and ELEVATING our podcast!
We love when our friends post pictures! Thanks Julia McCready and Clarence Lam!
Elevate Maryland: @podcastelevate
- Candace Dodson Reed – Show Founder & Host, @JustCandace1
- Tom Coale – Show Founder & Host, @hocorising
- Buffy Beaudoin-Schwartz – Web & Blog Editor, @buffybs
- Mickey Gomez – Writer, @mickeygomez
- Elizabeth Mason Moses – Writer, @holiztic
- Wendy Royalty – Writer, @WendyRoyaltyD1
- Sabina Taj – Writer, @sabinataj
The Elevate Podcast explores the policies, people, and stories that affect the state of Maryland. “Elevate” is defined as: to lift up or make higher, to raise in rank or status, to improve morally, intellectually, or culturally, and to raise the spirits of – just what we aim to do. With over 50 podcasts to date, Show Founders and Hosts Candace Dodson Reed and Tom Coale talk to newsmakers and everyday people in order to elevate the conversation and find out what matters most in our communities. Find a full list of all podcasts here
The Elevate Blog covers the latest news from the Elevate Maryland world, what we are doing, what we are thinking about, and what we hope you’ll read with us and discuss. Elevate Editor Buffy Beaudoin-Schwartz pulls from the podcast, our writers, and current news. Elevate Writers Candace Dodson Reed, Tom Coale, Mickey Gomez, Elizabeth Mason Moses, Wendy Royalty, Sabina Taj have inspirational and aspirational takes on what we need to do to Elevate Maryland and highlight perspectives from our guests, hosts and community.