A regular update on what we’re up to and what we’re thinking about
UPCOMING ELEVATE Podcasts:
Mark your calendars for Monday, July 1 at 6:00 PM at Clarksville Commons when we will have Delegate Eric Ebersole on the show!
And, a very special guest will be joining us – come meet Howard County’s own Saketh Sundar – one of the eight Scripps National Spelling Bee champions this year!
RECENT ELEVATE Podcasts:
June 25: State Senator Guy Guzzone joined Candace and Tom to discuss the Kirwan Commission, Democratic leadership in Annapolis, and public discourse. More than that, Senator Guzzone shared guiding principles that he uses to make decisions and govern his actions as a legislator. If you thought you knew Guy Guzzone, you’re probably wrong (or at least incomplete).
Thank you to the Common Kitchen for hosting!
June 20: Candace and Tom sat down with State Delegate Terri Hill. They talked about how her background as a physician informs her work as a legislator, particularly with regard to youth sports (and maybe even birds). For this week’s 3 things, the Elevate Team honored Juneteeth, celebrated Howard County Pride, and highlighted the 5,000 unit deficit in affordable housing.
Thank you for our good friends at The Common Kitchen for their continued support as hosts for the show!
Things to ELEVATE:
5 thought-provoking pieces on current issues we care about, things happening in our community, and efforts our friends and guests are involved in:
- Howard County hopes first Pride event Saturday will lead to annual celebration, Baltimore Sun, 6/27/19
- ICE agents deploy for ‘criminal enforcement’ in Columbia, Baltimore Sun, 6/26/19
- Howard County Executive Calvin Ball requests performance audit of the school system, Baltimore Sun, 6/21/19
- Cities Start to Question an American Ideal: A House With a Yard on Every Lot, New York Times, 6/18/19
- Why Housing Policy Feels Like Generational Warfare, CityLab, 6/13/19
Things to CELEBRATE:
- We now have over 900 Elevators – 100 new from last month!
- We’re now averaging over 1,000 unique downloads per month – thank you for listening!
- We’ve had a big uptick in “likes” over the last few weeks.
- Thank you for sharing the podcast, the FB page, and rating us on iTunes!
- We love our Elevators!
We appreciate all of the people who have reached out about being a guest on the show. After two years of having to find guests, it means so much that you want to bring your voice to our audience. Please know that we are doing our best to get everyone in and our failure to ask you on the show is not intended as disrespect or oversight. We’re just booking those who listen first!
We love when our friends post pictures! Thanks Dhaval Shah and Deanna Peel!
Elevate Maryland: @podcastelevate
- Candace Dodson Reed – Show Founder & Host, @JustCandace1
- Tom Coale – Show Founder & Host, @hocorising
- Buffy Beaudoin-Schwartz – Web & Blog Editor, @buffybs
- Mickey Gomez – Writer, @mickeygomez
- Elizabeth Mason Moses – Writer, @holiztic
- Wendy Royalty – Writer, @WendyRoyaltyD1
- Sabina Taj – Writer, @sabinataj
The Elevate Podcast explores the policies, people, and stories that affect the state of Maryland. “Elevate” is defined as: to lift up or make higher, to raise in rank or status, to improve morally, intellectually, or culturally, and to raise the spirits of – just what we aim to do. With over 50 podcasts to date, Show Founders and Hosts Candace Dodson Reed and Tom Coale talk to newsmakers and everyday people in order to elevate the conversation and find out what matters most in our communities. Find a full list of all podcasts here
The Elevate Blog covers the latest news from the Elevate Maryland world, what we are doing, what we are thinking about, and what we hope you’ll read with us and discuss. Elevate Editor Buffy Beaudoin-Schwartz pulls from the podcast, our writers, and current news. Elevate Writers Candace Dodson Reed, Tom Coale, Mickey Gomez, Elizabeth Mason Moses, Wendy Royalty, Sabina Taj have inspirational and aspirational takes on what we need to do to Elevate Maryland and highlight perspectives from our guests, hosts and community.