A regular update on what we’re up to and what we’re thinking about
UPCOMING ELEVATE Podcasts:
Mark your calendars for Wednesday, June 19th at 6:00 PM when we will have Delegate Terri Hill on the show! And, we’re very excited to welcome Senator Guy Guzzone on Monday, June 24th at 6:00 PM – both at Clarksville Commons.
RECENT ELEVATE Podcasts:
June 4: Pod 🎤 Is 🎤 Up! This week, Tom and guest host Ainy Haider-Shah interview Baltimore County Executive Johnny Olszewski. They discuss Baltimore County’s budget crunch, transparency in technology, and which name the County Executive prefers. You will want to check in on this interview with one of Maryland’s rising stars!
1) Eid Mubarak;
2) Housing Policy as Immigration Policy and the future of Democratic progressivism on this issue; and
3) Final word on the Howard County Public School System Budget.
Special thanks to State Fare in Catonsville for hosting the show! The service and food were fantastic!
May 29: Last week Tom sat down with special guest host Ainy Haider-Shah (of Episode 37 fame) to interview Delegate Courtney Watson. They discussed Howard County, the vote for Speaker of the House, and how Howard County politics have changed since her father, Ed Cochran, was County Executive.
Three (or Four) Things:
1) Howard County Budget Politics;
2) Anniversary of 2018 Flood;
3) Deceptive Social Media Practices;
4) Buy Soulful Symphony Tickets – www.dcacc.info
Thank you, as always, to our great hosts at The Common Kitchen! Special thanks also to Chris Greco for special help with our audio equipment!
Things to CELEBRATE:
- We now have over 800 Elevators!
- We’re now averaging over 1,000 unique downloads per month! Thank you for listening!
- We’ve had a big uptick in “likes” over the last week.
- Thank you for sharing the podcast, the FB page, and rating us on iTunes!
- We love our Elevators!
ELEVATE the Conversation:
10 thought-provoking pieces on current issues we care about, things happening in our community, and efforts our friends and guests are involved in:
- The Kids Are Alright: Millennials Reluctant to Give, But Donate Generously When They Do (Inside Philanthropy, 5/30)
- Governor Hogan has vetoed a bill that would have allowed more undocumented immigrants to pay in-state college tuition. (Bethesda Magazine, 5/24)
- The significance of Lonnie Bunch’s appointment as the 14th secretary of the Smithsonian Institution, goes far beyond the fact that he is the first African American to hold the job. He is in a unique position to grapple with the institution’s history, which is bound up in complicated ways with the history of white supremacy. (Washington Post, 5/28)
- The Building Movement Project has just released Nonprofit Executives and the Racial Leadership Gap: A Race to Lead Brief which explores the gaps between executive leaders of color and white leaders and compares nonprofit executives to respondents in staff positions.
- According to a recent study published in the journal Health Affairs, the number of middle-income seniors is projected to soar in the next 10 years, and many of them will be unable to afford housing and care.
- New Trump administration rule would weaken protections for transgender people in health care (Washington Post, 5/24)
- In her first official act outside a ceremonial bill signing, newly elected speaker Adrienne Jones sought to remove the last item commemorating the Confederacy from the Maryland State House — a plaque that pays tribute to soldiers who fought on both sides of the Civil War. (Washington Post, 5/23)
- How Housing Supply Became the Most Controversial Issue in Urbanism (CityLab, 5/23)
- New law will require half of Maryland power to come from renewable sources by 2030 (Washington Post, 5/22)
- Why Ellicott City, Maryland Is One of the Coolest Suburbs in America (Apartment Therapy, 5/22)
We love when our friends post pictures! Thanks David Ryan and Dhaval Shah!
Elevate Maryland: @podcastelevate
- Candace Dodson Reed – Show Founder & Host, @JustCandace1
- Tom Coale – Show Founder & Host, @hocorising
- Buffy Beaudoin-Schwartz – Web & Blog Editor, @buffybs
- Mickey Gomez – Writer, @mickeygomez
- Elizabeth Mason Moses – Writer, @holiztic
- Wendy Royalty – Writer, @WendyRoyaltyD1
- Sabina Taj – Writer, @sabinataj
The Elevate Podcast explores the policies, people, and stories that affect the state of Maryland. “Elevate” is defined as: to lift up or make higher, to raise in rank or status, to improve morally, intellectually, or culturally, and to raise the spirits of – just what we aim to do. With over 50 podcasts to date, Show Founders and Hosts Candace Dodson Reed and Tom Coale talk to newsmakers and everyday people in order to elevate the conversation and find out what matters most in our communities. Find a full list of all podcasts here
The Elevate Blog covers the latest news from the Elevate Maryland world, what we are doing, what we are thinking about, and what we hope you’ll read with us and discuss. Elevate Editor Buffy Beaudoin-Schwartz pulls from the podcast, our writers, and current news. Elevate Writers Candace Dodson Reed, Tom Coale, Mickey Gomez, Elizabeth Mason Moses, Wendy Royalty, Sabina Taj have inspirational and aspirational takes on what we need to do to Elevate Maryland and highlight perspectives from our guests, hosts and community.