A regular update on what we’re up to and what we’re thinking about
UPCOMING ELEVATE Podcasts:
Our next episode will be recorded with Lawyers On The Rocks! We will miss our elevators, but stay tuned to listen once it airs. We’re recording on a Friday, so we’ll be expecting some #TellTheTruthFriday from Jeremy!
Mark your calendars for Tuesday, June 4th at 6:00 PM when we will be having Baltimore County Executive Johnny Olszewski on the show! We’re also very excited to be hosting this show at State Fare in Catonsville, Maryland!
RECENT ELEVATE Podcasts:
May 16: Pod is up! Delegate Jessica Feldmark (D – District 12) is someone you should get to know. She’s conscientious, diligent, and courageous. We think that all shines through in this interview. You’ll also want to tune in to hear a more-spicy-than-normal 3 things covering Alabama’s abortion ban, school budget politics, and WJZ’s Mary Bubala.
April 30: Pod is up and oh is it good! Make sure to tune in for some “firsts”, including an account of how the bond rating agencies asked the County Executive about climate change, plans for making transit work in Howard County, and how the new administration intends to offer the public tools to hold them accountable.
Thoughts from one of our “Elevators” – Thanks Pravin!
“One of the best podcasts I have heard in a while. Tom Coale and Candace Dodson Reed had done very good research on the questions, they were well informed as always. What really stole the show was Howard County Executive Calvin Ball responses. It was great to see that he had a vision for HoCo, not only for the next 4 years but for generations to come. Loved his comment on giving every qualified person a chance to serve in public office if they wanted. It is good to see a elected official who can think big, effortlessly convey the vision to all, and connect with the people on the street.” – Pravin Ponnuri
Things to CELEBRATE:
- We now have over 800 Elevators!
- We’re now averaging over 1,000 unique downloads per month! Thank you for listening!
- Congratulations to Candace for being elected to the Board of Trustees for the Downtown Columbia Arts and Culture Commission!
ELEVATE the Conversation:
10 thought-provoking pieces on current issues we care about, things happening in our community, and efforts our friends and guests are involved in:
- Change in how poverty is calculated has decreased funding for a Baltimore school (Washington Post, 5/19/19)
- Philanthropy critic Anand Giridharadas writes that nonprofits should interrogate themselves on how the money that is fueling them was made. (New York Times, 5/16/19)
- Giving by Women’s Funds Has Soared. And They’re Getting More Savvy and Strategic (Inside Philanthropy, 5/14/19)
- A landmark education bill designed to reshape Maryland’s public school system will become law without Gov. Larry Hogan’s signature, and will send an additional $855 million to schools over the next two years. (Washington Post, 5/15/19)
- An emergency Task Force on Black Youth Suicide and Mental Health has been created by the Congressional Black Caucus to address access to mental health care and suicide among Black youth, including those who are LGBTQIA. (Washington Blade, 5/7/19)
- June 4 marks the 100-year anniversary of Congress’ passage of the 19th Amendment to the US Constitution, and there are a number of places around the Greater Washington region to learn the history of women’s suffrage. (WAMU, 5/16)
- Johns Hopkins University is aiming to capitalize on the student-led gun safety movement by offering a free online course to teach strategies to curb gun violence. (NPR, 5/13)
- The Consumer Health Foundation not only incorporates racial equity into their grantmaking, but intentionally recruits people most impacted by structural racism onto their board of trustees to deploy those resources. (CHF, 5/7)
- How One Non-Muslim Is Working To Make Restaurants More Inclusive During Ramadan (WAMU, 5/8)
- Del. Adrienne Jones becomes first African American, first woman to serve as Maryland House speaker (Washington Post, 5/1)
Thanks to our Elevators who share their photos – we love these crowd photos, Steve Bolen and Julia McCready!
Elevate Maryland: @podcastelevate
- Candace Dodson Reed – Show Founder & Host, @JustCandace1
- Tom Coale – Show Founder & Host, @hocorising
- Buffy Beaudoin-Schwartz – Web & Blog Editor, @buffybs
- Mickey Gomez – Writer, @mickeygomez
- Elizabeth Mason Moses – Writer, @holiztic
- Wendy Royalty – Writer, @WendyRoyaltyD1
- Sabina Taj – Writer, @sabinataj
The Elevate Podcast explores the policies, people, and stories that affect the state of Maryland. “Elevate” is defined as: to lift up or make higher, to raise in rank or status, to improve morally, intellectually, or culturally, and to raise the spirits of – just what we aim to do. With over 50 podcasts to date, Show Founders and Hosts Candace Dodson Reed and Tom Coale talk to newsmakers and everyday people in order to elevate the conversation and find out what matters most in our communities. Find a full list of all podcasts here
The Elevate Blog covers the latest news from the Elevate Maryland world, what we are doing, what we are thinking about, and what we hope you’ll read with us and discuss. Elevate Editor Buffy Beaudoin-Schwartz pulls from the podcast, our writers, and current news. Elevate Writers Candace Dodson Reed, Tom Coale, Mickey Gomez, Elizabeth Mason Moses, Wendy Royalty, Sabina Taj have inspirational and aspirational takes on what we need to do to Elevate Maryland and highlight perspectives from our guests, hosts and community.