A regular update on what we’re up to and what we’re thinking about
UPCOMING ELEVATE Podcasts:
Join us! Mark your calendars, RSVP on our Facebook events:
APR 29 – SOLD OUT – Episode 57 with Howard County Executive Calvin Ball, Mon 6 PM, Food Plenty, Clarksville
MAY 14 – Episode 58 with Delegate Jessica Feldmark, Tue 6 PM · 9 friends are going, The Common Kitchen, Clarksville
RECENT ELEVATE Podcasts:
Last week Candace and Tom sit down with Delegate Vanessa Atterbeary to discuss the closing days of the Maryland General Assembly. They review everything from Delegate Atterbeary’s fight with the NRA to why it is so hard to pass good legislation in Annapolis.
For their first “joint podcast”, Candace and Tom team up with the Baltimore Sun’s Roughly Speaking: Government Edition duo, Luke Broadwater and Mileah Kromer, to talk all things Annapolis. They cover everything from the forthcoming battle for Speaker of the House to the progressive lean of the General Assembly. Was this the “Year of the Bad Delegate” or was that just a blemish on an otherwise big year for Maryland lawmakers?
ELEVATE the Conversation
10 thought-provoking pieces on current issues we care about, things happening in our community, and efforts our friends and guests are involved in:
- It’s time to change the narrative on Baltimore. There’s a lot worth celebrating – Washington Post, 4/26/19
- Baltimore County on track to meet goals of affordable housing settlement, but challenges remain – Baltimore Sun, 4/25/19
- Montgomery County is finally talking about its segregated schools. But can we fix them? – Greater Greater Washington, 4/24/19
- The Supreme Court just heard arguments about the proposed citizenship question on the 2020 Census – here’s a run-down of what happened – Washington Post, 4/23/19
- A thought-provoking article on inequality and the failures of unrestrained capitalism – Washington Post, 4/20/19
- Schools aren’t teaching students about climate change, and a majority of parents, regardless of political background, wish they would – NPR, 4/22/19
- Maryland House speaker race: As Baltimore’s McIntosh leads, GOP could play key role behind the scenes – Baltimore Sun, 4/15/19
- Nikki Highsmith Vernick, President and CEO of the Horizon Foundation, writes in a Letter to the Editor that philanthropists should tackle racial justice – Baltimore Sun, 4/11/19
- Village Green/Town² raises some concerns regarding a local village candidate. Talk like this has no place in our community conversation – Village Green/Town² , 4/11/19
- Why we keep saying US zoning laws are the legacy of racism: The Color of Law – Medium, 1/2/19
Thanks to our Elevators who share their photos – we love this crowd photo, Tim Lattimer!
Elevate Maryland: @podcastelevate
- Candace Dodson Reed – Show Founder & Host, @JustCandace1
- Tom Coale – Show Founder & Host, @hocorising
- Buffy Beaudoin-Schwartz – Web & Blog Editor, @buffybs
- Mickey Gomez – Writer, @mickeygomez
- Elizabeth Mason Moses – Writer, @holiztic
- Wendy Royalty – Writer, @WendyRoyaltyD1
- Sabina Taj – Writer, @sabinataj
The Elevate Podcast explores the policies, people, and stories that affect the state of Maryland. “Elevate” is defined as: to lift up or make higher, to raise in rank or status, to improve morally, intellectually, or culturally, and to raise the spirits of – just what we aim to do. With over 50 podcasts to date, Show Founders and Hosts Candace Dodson Reed and Tom Coale talk to newsmakers and everyday people in order to elevate the conversation and find out what matters most in our communities. Find a full list of all podcasts here
The Elevate Blog covers the latest news from the Elevate Maryland world, what we are doing, what we are thinking about, and what we hope you’ll read with us and discuss. Elevate Editor Buffy Beaudoin-Schwartz pulls from the podcast, our writers, and current news. Elevate Writers Candace Dodson Reed, Tom Coale, Mickey Gomez, Elizabeth Mason Moses, Wendy Royalty, Sabina Taj have inspirational and aspirational takes on what we need to do to Elevate Maryland and highlight perspectives from our guests, hosts and community.