A regular update on what we’re up to and what we’re thinking about
Join us! Mark your calendars, RSVP on our Facebook events:
- APR 15 – Episode 55 Joint Podcast with Roughly Speaking, Mon 6 PM, The Common Kitchen, Clarksville
- APR 23 – Episode 56 with Delegate Vanessa Atterbeary, Tue 6 PM, The Common Kitchen, Clarksville
- APR 29 – SOLD OUT – Episode 57 with Howard County Executive Calvin Ball, Mon 6 PM, Food Plenty, Clarksville
- MAY 14 – Episode 58 with Delegate Jessica Feldmark, Tue 6 PM · 9 friends are going, The Common Kitchen, Clarksville
What an incredible night we had for Episode 53 – An Evening with Darin Atwater at Merriweather Post Pavilion for the interview with for their interview with the Downtown Columbia Arts and Culture Commission’s new artistic director Darin Atwater! Thank you for sharing your vision with us Darin, we are excited for all this is ahead. Listen to the podcast here.
During last week’s show, we encouraged listeners to support the Downtown Columbia Arts and Culture Commission. Subscribe to the DCACC newsletter and contribute towards all the great work Darin and ED Ian Kennedy are trying to accomplish across Howard County and central Maryland.
ELEVATE the Conversation
10 thought-provoking pieces on current issues we care about, things happening in our community, and efforts our friends and guests are involved in:
Loving our new Blog Team! Check out Wendy Royalty’s account of a plastic-bagless life out in Seattle:
- (Reusable) Bag Lady, Elevate Maryland Blog – 3/25/19
- What Really Degrades Us, Village Green/Town2 – 4/6/19
- Unpacking the Power of Privileged Neighborhoods, CityLab – 3/18/19
- Chesapeake Bay Shows Signs Of Health, Despite Historic Rains And Climate Change WAMU – 4/2/19
- A new generation of black playwrights is demanding a fresh look at racial insensitivity and American social and political inequities. Washington Post – 4/2/19
- America has stalled on equal pay, and women of color face the biggest gap. Vox – 4/2/19
- Dismantling racism and oppression within school systems can be prioritized with mandatory worker training. Truthout – 3/28/19
- Economic inclusion and criminal justice reform are intertwined — and why the business community should care. CityLab – 3/28/19
- 4 Ways Nonprofits Can Tackle a Growing US Divide. Chronicle – 3/26/19
- Sweetness of Circles, highlights the history, strength and growth of black-led giving circles. Medium – 3/25/19
The Elevate Blog covers the latest news from the Elevate Maryland world, what we are doing, what we are thinking about, and what we hope you’ll read with us and discuss.
Elevate Maryland: @podcastelevate
- Candace Dodson Reed – Show Founder & Host, @JustCandace1
- Tom Coale – Show Founder & Host, @hocorising
- Buffy Beaudoin-Schwartz – Web & Blog Editor, @buffybs
- Mickey Gomez – Writer, @mickeygomez
- Elizabeth Mason Moses – Writer, @holiztic
- Wendy Royalty – Writer, @WendyRoyaltyD1
- Sabina Taj – Writer, @sabinataj
The Elevate Podcast explores the policies, people, and stories that affect the state of Maryland. “Elevate” is defined as: to lift up or make higher, to raise in rank or status, to improve morally, intellectually, or culturally, and to raise the spirits of – just what we aim to do. With over 50 podcasts to date, Show Founders and Hosts Candace Dodson Reed and Tom Coale talk to newsmakers and everyday people in order to elevate the conversation and find out what matters most in our communities. Find a full list of all podcasts here
The Elevate Blog covers the latest news from the Elevate Maryland world, what we are doing, what we are thinking about, and what we hope you’ll read with us and discuss. Elevate Editor Buffy Beaudoin-Schwartz pulls from the podcast, our writers, and current news. Elevate Writers Candace Dodson Reed, Tom Coale, Mickey Gomez, Elizabeth Mason Moses, Wendy Royalty, Sabina Taj have inspirational and aspirational takes on what we need to do to Elevate Maryland and highlight perspectives from our guests, hosts and community.